Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Warf Line Shed Number 1

Part of my plan for building the Bairnsdale modules is to build the buildings as I go along, rather than focus on the benchwork and trackwork exclusively. This way it should all come together... well that's the plan!

At the East end of the station area the old warf line curved towards the south east. It was truncated back in the 1950's. Several sheds were built on this stub and by the period I'm modelling two were in location, while externally similar they differ in details. One of these has recently been demolished, however the other is still standing and thanks to John O'Kelly I have good pictures and measurements, so I've built this one first :) I can use these measurements to estimate the other shed.
 
This is the shed in 2009. the one to the right has been demolished in 2011.

 The 1976 station drainage diagram shows the two shed were leased to Tulloch Jenkins Pty Ltd, who owned service stations and a oil wholesaling business's in the Gippsland region. I remember bitumen wagons parked there in the 1980's. It appears to have been the office/administration building.





For a while I was confused how many buildings were there, some photos from the side showed a peaked roof building. Finally I noticed in this picture from 1975 that there were clearly 3 buildings there in 1975, with the last one being the peaked roof building. The peaked roof building appears to have been demolished  by 1976.

Peter Vincent 1975



 So off to work using fantastic photo's and measurements from John. Note the discoloration caused by fire damage.


2011 John O'Kelly photo
Both sides are the same John O'kelly photo

Under construction. A wall was added internally.
Interior painted black, roof on

Undercoated


Now back to the half finished goods shed as thanks to John I now have good photos of the roadside of the building, not just the rail side!.

Cheers
Rob




No comments:

Post a Comment